The objective of any social media website is to offer a platform to diverse people around the globe to connect, network and interact with each other. However with the evolution in time, both meaning and concept of social media has changed for good. In this digital age where social media marketing has become a crucial part of many business marketing strategies, the meaning and purpose of social media have also evolved greatly.
Earlier we used to word-of-mouth referrals and stamped letters, however today’s relationships are often begun and advanced on social media websites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Google +. With such a drastic evolution, more and more business owners now have to ensure to stay in touch with the various social media platforms, not to mention take benefit of emerging opportunities.
Have a look at some of the popular social media sites which are currently the trendiest and which you should be aware of:
- Facebook: Facebook is almost synonymous with “social media”. The first website that strikes our mind when we say social media is undeniably Facebook. This is one site where you can easily connect with people of similar interests and thoughts. You can find your old buddies on this vast spread social media network. Albeit Facebook is mainly inclined around sharing and liking the photos & videos, individuals can also follow and become a fan of the brand they wish to support.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is one of the only sites which are actually focused towards business. This site offers a platform for the business oriented people who want to meet customers, get in touch with vendors, search new job opportunities or recruit employees. If it matters to your company or career, you can perhaps get started on LinkedIn.
- Twitter: Twitter is perhaps the most interesting and fun social media platforms, where people can express their views about everything in a message limited to 140 characters or less. The website is simple to use and offers a great opportunity to people around the world to get in touch and share thoughts with famous celebrities or influencers. You can tweet, Retweet and like whatever to wish to.
- YouTube: YouTube has emerged as a very popular website which is also known as “the world’s second-largest search engine”. The site has everything relevant to the today’s users, be it promotional clips or “how to” instructions on virtually any topic. Users have to ability to like, share, comment and rate the videos they see.
- WhatsApp: WhatsApp is the world’s most popular messaging platform where people can easily send text messages, update a status and get connected with anyone they want to. The concept of this app is simple and easy to use.
- Google+: Google has offered users a social networking site known as Google+. With the help of this app users can add a new contact, highlight topics with hashtags, and even separate contacts into circles. And, a G+ profile only takes a few minutes to get started.
- Instagram: Instagram is like a camera which gives you an opportunity to conveniently connect socially. This app allows you to share via Twitter, Facebook and other social media websites. The app features a variety of photo filters which makes you look beautiful and pampered.
- Snapchat: This wonderful app is a favorite among the youngsters who get an opportunity to click a picture, add art and text if they want and share it with the recipients for a set amount of time. After some time the photo automatically gets deleted from the site, as this site doesn’t keep photos for long. This App is definitely interesting and popular among the today’s generation.
- Pinterest: Over the last few years, Pinterest has grown as a popular site which has had a great impact on social media. This site serves as a huge virtual idea and inspiration board. Users can pin, save or duplicate any photo and share their thoughts on this site.
- Tumblr: This platform is quite unique as it essentially hosts micro blogs for its users. Individuals and companies, in turn, can fill their blogs with multimedia (like images and short video clips). The fast-paced nature of Tumbler makes it perfect for memes, GIF’s, and other forms of fun or viral content.
The social media landscape keeps evolving, changing and enhancing every now and then. And with the ever-changing nature of social media platforms, the social marketing has also become very challenging. There are several trending social media websites, each one is unique in itself and offers some or the other benefits to its users. With the growing importance of social media these days, you should stay updated about the social networks we have just discussed above.