3 Tips to Maximize the SEO Impact of User-generated Content
SEO marketing has a complex correlation with user-generated content. Here we are trying to crack that trick to get your user generated content to get optimum SEO impact and draw traffic.
Consider these three SEO tips to leverage your user-generated content to get best SERP results.
1. Consolidate your user-generated content
It’s well-known in the SEO industry that pages using more words tend to rank better, while it’s also typically acknowledged that this isn’t always the case because a page using a higher word count isn’t still the most useful page for a consumer related to their query.
According to Backlinko 1890 words is the average word count of a Google first page ranking site pages.
Emboldening this theory, according to Ahrefs, top ranking pages in Google typically tend to also rank for thousands of other relevant keywords.
Pages that consumers seem to like for multiple related questions give Google more data to use than pages that only do well for few keywords. Search engines have a more persuasive reason to rank pages these. Since pages with long-form content generally go more in-depth and approach a topic from more angles, they also tend to reference a more extensive amount of queries. This creates a snowball effect whereby Google ranks the page to get keywords furthermore until it becomes a central hub for a topic.
One generic lacking with user-generated content is that its comprehensiveness can be hit or miss. Some customers may write 10,000-word essays, while others may write a dozen words or not. A fantastic solution to this is to pool together user-generated articles, consolidating related articles onto a single page.
Consider what Patrick Curtis of Wall Street Oasis had to say about how they achieved a 32% boost in search traffic. A full 99% of the content in their site was user-generated, together with the apparent issue of creating inconsistent quality and depth. A primary goal of reworking the site was”merge and purge,” consolidating the articles from several discussions about the same subject into only the two or even three URLs that were performing the best.
To accomplish this, they migrated the user-generated content in the lower-performing pages into the higher-performing pages, unpublished the low-performing pages, and set up 301 redirects from the low-performing pages into the high-performing ones.
Applying statistical analysis, they discovered that consolidating pages led to an average increase of 14 per cent while improving the title and H1 tags boosted them by just nine per cent.
To consolidate content, follow these:
- Identify URLs that are ranking for related queries, or that utilize similar words in the title tag
- Migrate all of the related user content into a consolidated page
- If for UX reasons, it makes sense to keep up the lower performing pages, breadcrumb connect them into the consolidated page as a”parent” or”category” page. Either canonicalize them into the unified page or noindex them (but never both)
- When it does not make sense to keep the”child” pages for UX purposes, take them down, 301 redirect them into the consolidated page and update any internal links to the old pages to point them to the new page
- Moderate user discussions and remove content that doesn’t meet community standards to keep your quality score large
2. Allow user reviews
It is must for a shopping site or marketplace to consider incorporating user reviews into your product pages or relevant pages on site. Like consolidation, user-reviews raise the term count on your pages and give the search engines more information to work with.
User-reviews also align quite well with Google’s quality rater guidelines. Aside from directly mentioning reviews as a way of judging the reputation of a website, Guidelines of Google quality rater are driven in large part by how well the purpose of the page aligns with the intent the user is seeking with their query, and how well the content solves that purpose.
On-page user reviews help users to evaluate the product quality more reliable than anything you can provide alone. In fact, 84% of consumers trust online reviews as far as they believe their friends.
If you’re worried that anything less than a great five-star rating is likely to hurt sales, this fear is unfounded. Surprisingly, merchandise purchases are most positively influenced by reviews with an average star rating between 4.2 and 4.5, presumably because too high ratings are regarded as suspicious.
Various studies tell us that user reviews on average boost sales by 18%, that 63% of consumers are more likely to purchase from a site with user reviews. When it comes to a boost in search engine traffic, the data shows the correlation as well. A study by Yotpo found that search traffic for 30,000 businesses improved very dramatically over a nine-month interval.
To incorporate user reviews, we recommend the following:
- Use a platform like Trustpilot (whose own reviews are incidentally within that2 to 4.5 range) to implement user reviews on your website
- Whatever CMS you use, it should be easy to verify that users create the reviews and not hand chosen by your company. This is the reason why third-party platforms are favored to in-house solutions that users may be suspicious of
- It ought to be easy for users to leave a review in your website (provided they are confirmed shoppers)
- Options like Sorting of reviews are advised
3. Content Curation
This is often thought of concerning curating content created by other publishers, such as when a site articles a monthly list of editorially chosen top blog posts in the business.
But articles curation is by no means limited to repackaging content created by other professionals. You can also curate content created by your audience and obtain positive SEO leads to reaction.
One site asks their users to send them photographs as part of a competition and publish the very best photos to their YourShot subdomain. CognitiveSEO notes that this strategy has worked very well for National Geographic, earning them 649 talking domains, nearly 190k backlinks, and high page and domain influence.
The University of Missouri Alumni Association, for example, was able to achieve a 15% increase in site traffic by leveraging image galleries.
They reworked an existing image gallery to make it easier for users to upload their photos to the website, and used a system that would allow them to capture the images on their website instead of a third party platform.
A system was installed to pull images from social media with University hashtags and host them in the image gallery.
They leveraged contests, including a Halloween costume competition, to encourage image sharing.
Ideas for new contests were regularly brainstormed.
The reason curation like this works good for attracting links is because it sets the users in the spotlight. Since a large number of consumers could potentially see their photographs published in YourShotthey get excited about the project and share the website on their platforms.
This creates the buzz that earns natural links from customers as well as from the media.
Meanwhile, curating the content editorially ensures that it is of high quality, resulting in a positive impact on how search engines interpret your website content.
Here are some pointers regarding curating user-generated content:
- The link-earning potential is highest in case the curation is something users are expecting, which is the reason why contests or something similar is usually the best way to go
- The goal is to make the consumer the star. Do not place too much emphasis on branding.
- The competition should be entertaining or engaging enough to override any cynicism individuals may have about working with a brand
If done in the right way, user-generated content can be a sure hit for your website SEO marketing.
User reviews can bump up your uniqueness score and help you rank to get a wider variety of questions. Consolidating and moderating user discussions produces in-depth, comprehensive pages that pull in a long tail. User competitions and curation lead to link earning and other favorable off-site signals.
Use these tips for improvement in your keywords ranking and organic traffic. You can hire Adbot if you want a reliable SEO Company in New York for all your SEO requirements.